Monday, March 2, 2015

Gloriana

Perhaps no other English Monarch has receive more press then Elizabeth I. [Except maybe her father Henry VIII.]  She reigned during a time of religious, social, economic, and political change, but managed to keep things held together.  This was in spite of the fact that most during this period of history felt a "woman" would never be able to handle the pressures that surrounded the nation of England.  Her reign of 44 years [1558 - 1603] left many eating their crow. 

The book by Mary M. Luke gives a very readable account of this Elizabeth I.


First published in 1973 by Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, Inc., NY, it gives the life and times of Elizabeth I.  Written from a author who spent extensive time researching this period of Tudor history, she provides a well written history.  My own family's story is involved in this period, but "on the wrong side of the fence" as some might say.  [Catholic and strong supporters of Mary, Queen of Scots.]

A quote given in the text on p. 20:

"... I have the heart of a man, not of a woman, and I am not afraid of anything..."  Wow...Gloriana!

No comments:

Post a Comment